London Olympics 2012 Quick Round Up
Olympics the world biggest sport event, it is also the one of the most ancient sport event of the world. The first Olympics games held on 1896 in Athens, Greece. It had got huge popularity in the world in 1896 and from then the Olympics games held after every two, three and four years. More then 200 countries participate in Olympics, this also makes it the world biggest sport event.
On 6 July 2005 in IOC meeting in singapore, London has won the opportunity of hosting an Olympics 2012 after defeating Moscow, New York, Madrid and Paris. The bid was forwarded by the mayor of London of those time and he was successful in winning it. From then the United Kingdom had started its preparation for Olympics games. Preparation includes the construction of Olympic stadium, arranging of proper public transport in Olympic days, Security measures and arrangement of other stadiums for some games. Few days earlier, United Kingdom has assured the world that we have completed the all preparation of the Olympics.
204 countries including 10500(estimated) are participating in London Olympics 2012, from this you can easily imagine how big is this event and the arrangement of that kind of event is not an easy thing. So, good luck for London(United Kingdom) for successful completion of Olympics games 2012. 26 major sports will be played in Olympics 2012 which includes 302 events.
There are 11 sponsors of London Olympics 2012 and all the sponsors are the world one of the biggest companies. Olympics games will be watched in all parts of the world. So, every company try to get the sponsorship of the event but only the eleven get it successfully. Which are given below:-
- Atos Origin
- Coca Cola
- Procter and Gamble
Opening and Closing Ceremonies
The opening ceremony of London Olympics 2012 will be held on 27 July 2012 and will be named the “The Isles of Wonder”. It is directed by the Oscar winning director Danny Boyle. It includes the following acts:-
- Receiving the Head of State
- Parade of Athletes
- Olympic Anthem and Flag
- The Torch and Cauldron
- Performances by the Performers
The closing ceremony of London Olympics 2012 will be held on 12 August 2012 at the Olympic stadium, in which the the mayor of the host city London returns the flag of the Olympics to the president of International Olympics committee.
The main venue of the London Olympics 2012 will be the London Olympic stadium. There are other venues which host some sports because of the distinctive nature of the different sports. The comprehensive list of venues with the name of sports playing there are:-
- Aquatics Center – Diving, Modern pentathlon (swimming), Swimming, Synchronized swimming. Capacity 17,500.
- Basketball Arena - Basketball, Handball (medal round). Capacity 10,000-12,000.
- BMX Circuit - Cycling (BMX). Capacity 6,000.
- Copper Box - Handball, Modern pentathlon (fencing). Capacity 7,000.
- London Velodrome – Cycling track. Capacity 6,000.
- Riverbank Arena – Field Hockey. Capacity 16,000.
- Olympic Stadium - Athletics, Ceremonies (opening/ closing). Capacity 80,000.
- Water Polo Arena – Water Polo. Capacity 5,000.
- ExCel - Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Table tennis, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling. Capacity 5,000-10,000.
- Greenwich Park - Equestrian, Modern pentathlon (riding, running, shooting). Capacity 6,000-23,000.
- North Greenwich Arena - Basketball (final), Gymnastics (artistic, trampolining). Capacity 18,000-20,000.
- Royal Artillery Barracks – Shooting. Capacity 5,000-7,500.
- All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club – Tennis. Capacity 30,000.
- Earls Court Exhibition Center - Volleyball(Indoor). Capacity 15,000.
- Horse Guards Parade - Volleyball (beach). Capacity 15,000.
- Hyde Park - Swimming (marathon), Triathlon. Capacity 3,000.
- Lord’s Cricket Ground – Archery. Capacity 6,500.
- Marathon Course - Athletics (marathon). Capacity undetermined.
- Regent’s Park – Cycling(Road). Capacity undetermined.
- Wembley Arena - Badminton, Gymnastics (rhythmic). Capacity 6,000.
- Wembley Stadium – Football Final. Capacity 90,000.
The given below venues are located outside London but will also be used for London Olympics 2012.
- Dorney Lake - Canoeing (sprint), Rowing. Capacity 6,000-30,000.
- Hadleigh Farm - Cycling (mountain biking). Capacity 20,000.
- Lee Valley White Water Centre - Canoeing (slalom). Capacity 12,000.
- Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy – Sailing. Capacity 4,000-17,500.
Sports Will be Played in Olympics 2012
The Comprehensive list of some major and minor sports will be played in the London Olympics 2012 are given below:-
- Archery (27 July – 3 August)
- Athletics (4 August – 12 August)
- Badminton (28 July – 5 August)
- Basketball (28 July – 12 August)
- Beach Volleyball (28 July – 9 August)
- Boxing (28 July – 12 August)
- Canoe Slalom (29 July – 2 August)
- Canoe Sprint (6 August – 11 August)
- Cycling (28 July – 12 August)
- Diving (29 July – 11 August)
- Equestrian (28 July – 9 August)
- Fencing (28 July- 5 August)
- Football (25 July – 11 August)
- Gymnastics (29 July – 12 August)
- Handball (28 July – 12 August)
- Hokey (29 July – 11 August)
- Judo (28 July – 3 August)
- Modern Pentathlon (11 August- 12 August)
- Rowing (28 July – 4 August)
- Sailing (29 July – 11 August)
- Shooting (28 July – 6 August)
- Swimming (5 August- 10 August)
- Taekwondo (8 August – 11 August)
- Table Tennis (28 July – 8 August)
- Tennis (28 July – 5 August)
- Trampoline (28 July – 5 August)
- Triathlon (4 August – 7 August)
- Volleyball (28 July – 12 August)
- Water Polo (29 July – 11 August)
- Weightlifting (28 July – 7 August)
- Wrestling (5 August – 12 August)
Most Olympic Medals Won by a Countries
Every country tries its level best to won the most medals in the Olympics, but some of them get successful in it because of heavy competition. The given below are the list of countries who have won the most Olympic medals in the history of modern Olympic games.
- United States of America (2,112 medals)
- USSR(Russia) (1,234 medals)
- United Kingdom (665 medals)
- France (601 medals)
- Germany (573 medals)
- Italy (478 medals)
- Sweden (471 medals)
- Hungary (442 medals)
- East Germany (410 medals)
- Australia (352 medals)
London Olympics 2012 Quick Round Up Through Photography
At the end of this quick round up of London Olympics 2012, We must say the best of luck to all the players and countries, who are trying to win the medals in the event. Here it is also important to say, United kingdom need to geared up itself for successful completion of the event and for managing any uncertainties. Last but not the least, everyone in the world need to enjoy and follow this mind blowing event.
Wikipedia , Forbes, aneki and London 2012.